We can help with your accounting needs.
How Can We Help You?

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

  • How Long Do I Have to keep my Business Tax Records for the CRA

    July 22, 2013 by

    It’s a simple question, but one you’ve probably heard different answers for. As a business owner, how long do you have to keep your tax records? Is there a statute of limitation of how far back they can go to audit you? Well, here’s the answer, straight from the source. According to the Canada Revenue
    Read More

  • WSIB Expands Compulsory Coverage in Construction Industry

    July 16, 2013 by

    On January 1, 2013, the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) extended compulsory coverage. It’s now extended to independent operators, sole proprietors, partners and executive officers in the construction industry (with certain exceptions) under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997 (WSIA). Who is exempt from WSIB extended compulsory coverage? Home Renovation Workers If workers
    Read More

  • Can I Use a Flat Rate For Business Mileage?

    July 10, 2013 by

    It’s the plight of nearly everyone who uses their car for business: What to do tax accounting time. Toronto is full of people who commute from out of the city and rack up a lot of KMs along the way. Many wonder if they can use a flat rate for business mileage, or if they
    Read More

  • Distinguishing Between an Employee and Contractor

    July 9, 2013 by

    In TBT Personnel Services Inc. vs. Canada, the Federal Court of Appeal revisited how the law distinguishes between an employee and an independent contractor. The impact of an employee determination The employer is required to pay employer portion of Canada Pension Plan and Employment Insurance Premiums and must remit source deductions on a regular basis.
    Read More

  • Your Business and the Contract Payment Reporting System

    June 19, 2013 by

    The Contract Payment Reporting System (CPRS) requires construction companies to record their payments for construction services and to report these payments to the Canada Revenue Agency. If the subcontractor is a resident of Canada, payment information is provided on a Contract Payment Information Return, which consists of a T5018 Information Slip, Statement of Contract Payments
    Read More

  • Why am I being audited? Personal Tax Audit Triggers

    June 13, 2013 by

    Approximately 85% of personal tax returns are filed electronically.  Canada Revenue Agency processes these returns fairly quickly and many people have received their refunds.  However, the process doesn’t end there. Canada Revenue Agency may revisit your return in July and request further information. Since a majority of the personal tax returns are filed electronically, no
    Read More

  • Is Accounting Software Right for My Business?

    June 12, 2013 by

    Is accounting software the panacea it’s supposed to be? Good question. Having spent a career spanning some forty years as a “bean counter,” I still frequently get asked to explain and demystify double-entry bookkeeping— even in this current age of highly sophisticated software and technology. There are “those” who would have us believe that modern
    Read More

  • Income Tax When Emigrating from Canada

    June 5, 2013 by

    Leaving Canada to live or work abroad? Here is some important information about the reporting requirements for income tax when emigrating from Canada. Determining Your Residency For Tax Purposes Residency status is the primary issue that needs to be established before determining your tax liability to Canada. It’s often very difficult or complex to determine
    Read More